Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Last Two Shows and I'm Back Home

It's Thanksgiving day in Los Angeles... well, everywhere, in fact. I've been back for 2 1/2 days and I haven't unpacked anything but my hairbrush. Luckily, I have the coolest roommate on the planet and he doesn't care that there are two, overflowing, suitcases in the middle of our living room.

I should have written this 2 1/2 days ago...


ST. PETERSBURG, FL @ State Theatre 11/21/09

We woke up and did a radio spot in Tampa. The folks at the station were so hospitable and we had a fabulous time. They said they've been playing my song, "The River", a lot. How cool is that? We walked outside and Matty was cutting Greg, captain of the ship,'s hair and had already cut Casey's. They looked great. It was like Matty Sizzorhands.

We drove to the venue and I sat outside, on the curb, watching the little lizards run around. They're so fun! Everywhere you walk, you can hear little critters rustling around in the bushes.

The crowd was on fire in St. Pete's. At the end of the show, Jim Ward climbed the rafters on stage right, with his microphone, and sang soul-style to "Will the Circle be Unbroken" while Frank Turner got frustrated, trying to climb the stage left rafters, because the mic chord wasn't long enough. Comedy.

After the show, I got on the bus and packed my stuff. It didn't take me as long as I thought it would. All I could think about was LA. I was praying the flights back would be easy.

I finished and stepped outside to see what was happening with the dudes. Chuck saw me and yelled, "Audra Mae, come take a load off and pick you a bush." We all congregated at the back end of the lot, by the bus, and used the local shrubbery as nature's lawnchairs, leaning back in our hoodies and taking after-show snoozes while Matty cut Frank and Jo, from the Zydepunks,'s hair.

The next day was the last of the tour.




ORLANDO, FL @ The Social 11/22/09

I woke up and went searching for food and a new purse. :) We found a craft fare and ate yummy treats and watched people play around in the park.

After the fair we went to Ross and I found the best purse ever. It can fit so much shit in it! AND it looks a little like Mary Poppins' carpet bag. I bet I could fit a lamp in it. Hangin' with The Zydepunks all day was a blast. We went to Wendy's and pigged out after our adventure and then it was off to load-in.

The Social is a cool club. There's a pit below the stage and stairs leading out of that into to another standing area surrounding it at stage level. Does that make sense? Anyway, we all had a great time and made the most of our last show. Vince and I did a cover of "Smile" and, at the end of the show, Scott let me stand on his upright bass. So fun!!!

Afterwards, it was pretty much load-out and goodbye... but there was, of course, pizza between all that. First it was the Zydepunks, then Chuck and Jill said "See ya later" and left. I never saw Frank.

The bus headed for the airport hotel. Jon Snodgrass and Chad Price checked into their rooms and out of my line of sight. I got all my luggage into the hotel lobby and said "adios" to Greg.

Then it was Jonny Gaunt, the only person I got a fulfilling farewell from. He gave me some great advice; "Keep kickin' life in the dick, Audra Mae." I will, Jon Gaunt. :)

I got up to the room, waved goodbye to Jim Ward from halfway between my pillow and dreamland, and fell asleep.

Woke up, got showered and ready, left a note for Casey and Digger (if you can't say goodbye, always leave a note) and headed to the airport. The travel was easy. My prayers were answered.

My buddy, Brenna, picked my up from LAX and by the time we got back to my place with Panda Express and all my luggage, I felt like I'd never left Silverlake. I guess I thought it would be harder to adapt back into the swing of things but, I was wrong. I woke up the next morning at 7:45am with no alarm and put on KCRW. Morning Becomes Eclectic. Nice.


Now I'm spending today being thankful for my adventures and resting up for the journeys to come. :) AAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Happy Thanksgiving! Gobble Gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment